Flight 8281 (of Montego Air between Jamaica’s Montego Bay Airport and John F. Kennedy Airport) disappeared April 4, 2013 and then reappeared 5 1/2 years later. 191 passengers were on board. It was the next scheduled flight after Montego Air’s Flight 537.2
Flight 828 Timeline / Episode References
Flight numbers starting with 8 are often used for charter flights, but it can also simply depend on a commercial carrier’s choice. Whether or not an outside company (e.g. Unified Dynamic Systems???) was somehow involved in chartering the aircraft remains to be seen. Charter Brokers typically work on behalf of (agent of) the flyer to source licensed charter operators to fill a particular trip.
Ben and Bill Daly learn more about may have caused the plane’s disappearance after talking to a meteorologist, Roger Mencin, who was on the ground (water) near the spot where the plane encountered the turbulence. Mencin not only tells Daly about dark lightning, but gives him the data (111.8) he needs to put into the flight simulator to again experience first hand the storm that turned his and every other passenger’s life upside down. Here the fictional lives of the characters are being interwoven with scientific theories which make sense, whether they prove credible or not. But the data was too much for the simulator to handle, the program crashed the plane six times (111.10). It made no difference what Daly did behind the controls.
Photos of the Plane
Malaysia Airlines Flight 3703 disappeared without a trace in 2014. In fact, it was the world’s fascination with that flight that helped Manifest make it to screen. “I pitched [Manifest] around [a decade ago], nobody wanted it,” series creator Jeff Rake told SYFY. “Then, seven years later, [Malaysia] Airlines happened and suddenly my crazy idea felt a little more real, a little more relatable, in the context of [Malaysia Airlines], suddenly people were interested.”
Flight numbers are often taken out of use after a crash or a serious incident. For example,
- Alaska Airlines Flight 261 changed its flight number to 229 for subsequent flights following a crash.
- American Airlines Flight 77, which regularly flew from Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC, to Los Angeles International Airport, was changed to Flight 149 after the September 11 attacks.
- In the convention of airline flights all eastbound and northbound flights are assigned even numbers, while westbound and southbound flights have odd numbers.
- This convention (of using higher numbers to denote later flights) is commonly used by airlines who have multiple flights per day to the same destination.
- No Plane. No Remains. And Now, No Real Answers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (New York Times)
Recent Activity (Glossary)
« Back to Glossary Index