Devastated by the loss of her father and twin brother, the now-teenage Olive seeks to reestablish a bond when their plane miraculously reappears five years later.
- Surprises mom (Grace) and dad (Ben) by going in their bedroom one morning (102.14)
- On Friday nights Grandma (Karen) and Grandpa (Steve Stone) would babysit Olive and Cal while their parents went out on date night (cf. 108.14).
- While learning to ride her bike down Tait Hill with no hands she busted her lip three times, refusing to quit until she did it (cf. 107.18)
- Ben makes Olive feel better when after a bike runs over her model plane, he puts it in the water and it floats. She says, “Thank you, Daddy. You always makes everything better,” and then gives him a big hug. This occurs while they are visiting Bethesda Fountain. (104.8)
From Jamaica on Flight 537
Afternoon — 4/7/13
- While waiting at airport in Jamaica, family notified of overbooked flight, says goodbye to Ben and Cal who along with Michaela take a different flight (101.1).
- Olive tells her grandpa, Kevin Stone, after looking outthe window that “this is the longest I’ve ever been away from Cal.” Her grandpa then says, “Being a twin is a heck of a special relationship. You always feel connected, no matter where you are” (105.1).
- When Olive wants to wait for Cal and Ben at the airport, and not go home, Grace shows her the screen with all the incoming flights. Flight 828 is on time, to arrive at 1:40 am at gate C8. While they are looking at it, the arrival time switches to a red box marked, “See Agent” (105.1).
- Family notified after landing, that Flight 828 has disappeared from radar, and passengers are missing. As her grandma holds her tightly, Olive screams, “I want my dad! I want my dad!” (105.2)
The 5 1/2 Years
First Six Months
After Six Months
- while Grace descends into a deep depression. One morning Olive cuts herself trying to make a ham and cheese sandwich for her mom. After this incident, Grace seeks help (105.7)
- After Olive hears that the odds of finding any trace of the doomed flight were slim, and that the families may never recover their loved one’s remains (cf. 105.7), she has nightmares and refusing to leave the house, let alone ride in a car or go to school. Grace gets Olive help, having her meet with a therapist twice a week (101.14).
After Two Years
- Olive and her mom have left the house exactly the same. When her therapist they need to let go, Grace packs up all of Ben and Cal’s belongings, and leaves them on the curb for the Salvation and Army. Olive, however, cancels the pickup refusing to believe that her brother is dead. She can still feel him alive (102.19).
- Olive is suspicious of Danny who begins dating her mom (although they first met a year and a half ago). Olive is furious when Grace brings him over for dinner, telling him that she will not be hugging him. Later, Olive tells Danny that “Cal is not dead. He is just lost. And some day, when I grow up I am going to find him” (105.13)
- Olive takes up rock climbing, as a healthy outlet for what has been troubling her (cf. 107.18).
- Olive begins dating Cal’s best friend, Kevin (cf. 103.14 ff)
Reappearance of Flight 828
Evening — 11/4/18
- After watching breaking news of Flight 828’s Return, Danny realizes he must leave, but not before he, Grace, and Olive all embrace (105.25)
All Day — 11/5/18
- Waits anxiously for her dad and brother, who are being held for questioning inside one of the airport’s hangers, to be released (101.3).
Afternoon — 11/6/18
- Reunited with dad and brother (101.5)
- Hugs her dad (Ben)
- Startles Cal, her twin brother as she is now 5 1/2 years older than he.
Ep 1 – Pilot
Morning — 11/7
- Olive is at school.
- Olive’s soccer team is having a special soccer in preparation for a soccer tournament the next day (cf. 107.8). Ben shows up unexpectedly, and apologizes to her for making the choice to stay behind in Jamaica. He admits to having lost sight of her life while trying to get help for Cal. Olive gives her dad a hug (101.7).
Morning — 11/8
- Olive is at school
- Olive’s mom and dad do not show up at the soccer tournament due to Cal’s cancer treatments (cf. 107.8).
- After a late dinner, Olive is astonished at what a fast player Cal is while playing Banagrams, a game he had just learned how to play. After her mom receives a text from Danny asking if she told Ben yet, and how he misses her, Olive asks her mom, “What are you gonna do?” (101.23)
Ep 2 – Reentry
Morning — 11/9
- While making coffee in the kitchen (with lots of milk and sugar in it), Ben comes in, and asks Olive if after school they could hang out and catch up. She tells him she has soccer practice, and has fallen behind in her homework the last week (102.2).
- While they are talking, when Ben asks her if she is hearing any music, she thinks that Alexa may be acting up in the living room. When he leaves the kitchen, and her mom enters, Olive asks if she told him about Danny yet, “This isn’t cool. He deserves to know” (102.1).
- Olive attends school, while Ben and Grace go to hospital with Cal to begin his cancer for another round of cancer treatments.
- When she returns home from soccer practice, Ben tries a second time to see if she wants to go out for ice cream after dinner, but she declines saying she has to study (102.14).
Morning — 11/10
- It’s Saturday. We are not sure what Olive is doing. Grace has taken Cal to buy new toys, and while Ben returns with Radd to Riker Island to again talk to Adio.
- After Cal returns home with new toys, and is still not satisfied—missing his old toys, Olive asks Ben to take her for a drive where they go to a storage facility where Olive had been keeping Cal’s old toys (102.18).
- When asks Olive whose locker they were in, she tells him a “friend” of Grace’s. Olive and her dad then hug before he leaves to search for the source of music playing in his head (102.18).
- By the time Ben finds Blake with the jewels, and he is apprehended by the police, all Olive wants to do is go home (102.20).
- When they arrive home, they unpack Cal’s toys. He is happy that he is reunited with his favorite stuffed animal. Olive confronts her mom about making her feel crazy for not letting go, but that now she is the one that has to let go (102.21).
- Olive is at the dining room table working on her nails, when the Stone family watch breaking news on the television about unconfirmed reports that one of the passengers of Flight 828 has been murdered. Cal and Olive go upstairs to bed (103.2).
- When Cal sees Olive putting her jacket on, and opening her bedroom window, Olive places tells him that this will be “our little secret.” She then climbs out the window (103.3).
Ep 3 – Turbulence
Morning — 11/11
- It’s Sunday. Presumably, Olive is sleeping in late.
- Olive is upstairs, and is not aware that Cal’s best friend, Kevin is looking for her. Grace tell him to give her a text message later, as the family is about ready to have dinner (103.14).
- A short while later, while in the kitchen, Ben tells Grace that he found the side gate of the backyard was open and that he found footprints in the garden. Cal rats on his sister for sneaking out at night (103.15).
- Olive tells her dad that she was with her boyfriend (103.15).
- When Olive asks Cal why he broke their code, he tells her that he just want everyone to be safe, and that he was not mad at her, even though he stole away his best friend. She tell him that she is his best friend (103.17).
- Olive comes up to Cal while he is reading a book, and motions him to play Cat’s Cradle with her. Cal apologizes to her for ratting her out. Olive tells him that it’s him and her against the world—”Twins Rule” (103.25)
- Olive and Ben are on the couch playing a computer game on the iPad (103.26).
Ep 4 – Unclaimed Baggage
Morning — 11/12
- Ben and Grace are looking forward to having the house to themselves as Olive will be at school, and Cal at the lake with his grandpa (104.3).
- Olive is disappointed when Grace tells her that her grandpa will not be able to give her driving lessons after school because he and Cal are going to stay at the lake an extra day. Ben offers to do it, but she says she needs the same car she has been practicing on (104.3).
- Olive who normally receives her allowance on Monday, heads off to school (cf. 104.9).
- After school, Olive and her friend Avery are at Bluemercury cosmetic where a make up artist is putting red lipstick on her. When Avery tells the cosmetician that she is famous, Olive says, “Stuff happens to me, not because of me” (104.9).
- Olive while looking at her red lips in a mirror, wants to buy the lipstick, but does not have $120. So she reaches down on the counter and puts it in her backpack without paying for it. She is caught by store security (104.9).
- After Olive calls Grace saying she needs a ride home, Ben agrees to pick her up (104.14).
- Olive also calls Danny who arrives at the store first. He and Ben meet for the first time (104.17).
- On the drive home, although Ben tries to make eye contact, Olive does not (104.18).
- After Ben tells her about how he was caught with steeling a boomerang and Grandma Stone gave him a free pass, Olive says she will never steal again (104.20).
- Olive tell her dad the reason she called Danny is that he “knows I’m a mess, but you still see me as this sweet 10-year-old little girl, and I’m not. I’m so not her anymore.” After Ben tells her that he he loves her just as she is, and whenever she needs help can call him, she convinces her dad to keep what happened just between them (104.20).
Ep 5 – Connecting Flights
- Olive tells Grace that although she loves her dad, Ben, and is glad he’s back, that Danny is her dad, too (105.26).
- Olive goes to her friend Avery’s house to spend the night (106.2).
Ep 6 – Off Radar
Morning — 11/14
- Presumably Olive goes to school.
Ep 7 – S.N.A.F.U.
Morning — 11/15
- Presumably Olive goes to school.
Morning — 11/16
- As Ben readies himself for his first day on the job, she asks Ben if it is okay she goes rock climbing. Although she does not tell him with who, Grace tells Ben it is with Danny (107.4).
- Olive presumably goes to school.
- While rock climbing after school at an indoor facility, she gets frustrated and tells Danny that she does not want to do this anymore. Danny tells her he will be there tomorrow, too (107.8).
- She receives several text messages from Ben asking her how the rock climbing went, but does not text back (cf. 107.12).
- When she comes back home, she does not see Ben. He is attending a lecture (107.15), and playing poker at the office (107.17).
Morning — 11/17
- When Ben asks her how was the climb, she says, “I quit. It’s too hard.” Ben offers her some words of encouragement, and they embrace (107.18).
- Olive returns to the rock climbing gym and tells Danny that she never wanted to climb Acadia or anything, and that the only reason she trained so hard was that she likes spending time with him. When he says, that they can forget Arcadia, she says, “I’m not a quitter” (107.20).
- After she goes into the house after being dropped off, Danny tells Ben, “I’m not gonna get in your way, Ben. Olive’s not my kid. But I stepped in when you were gone, and I care about her. When she comes to me, I can’t turn her away (107.23).
- Olive circles July 19th on her calendar which she had labeled “Climb Acadia” before putting a smile face next to it.
Ep 8 – Point of No Return
DAYS 15 – 26
One might presume that the timeline continues as before such that Episode 8 picks up the same evening or night as the previous episode, similar to other episodes. However, after the flashback to Flight 828’s landing on November 4, 2018, episode 8 continues with a scene in which both Ben and Michaela are wearing different clothes than where they left off in episode 7 which suggests that these scenes do not occur on the same day.
- Olive goes to school and soccer practice.
Since this is Cal’s first day of school, this suggest a time jump has occurred (see above). Since most of episode 8 occurs within an 18 hour time frame (cf. 108.3), and since Vance later states that the plane had come back three weeks ago (108.22), and the fact that episode 9 takes place on a Saturday, that brings Cal’s first day to Friday, November 30, 2018.
Morning — 11/30
- Olive rescues Cal from “the mommy drop” after Ben tells Cal that his mom is going to take him to school on her way to work. Olive says Cal can walk to school with her. Ben says okay as long as she calls if she sees anything strange or Cal gets sick again (108.5).
- As Olive and Cal walk six blocks to school (cf. 108.5)
- In front of the school, Olive tells her brother he is going to do great. She then takes her brother’s hand as they walk toward the front door of the school building (108.5).
- Olive drops Cal off at Mrs. Henry’s classroom who was very excited to see him, and then went to her own class (cf. 108.14).
- Olive receives a call from her mom on how her brother is doing on his first day. While on the phone she gives her mom some tips on buying make-up for her date night with Ben (108.14)
- Olive is sitting at a table with Kevin and Pippy at lunch, when Cal joins them. She is eating a tuna sandwich. When Piper begins eating a Doritos sandwich, she remembers how Pippy always used to eat those sandwiches 5 1/2 years ago. Cal, too, remembers, but for him it was only a month ago.
- In late afternoon, Olive returns home from school and watches Grace put on make-up for her date night with Ben.
- While dad and mom are on their date night, Olive and Cal make popcorn and hang out with Kevin watching TV (cf. 108.19).
- They order pizza (cf. 108.19).
- The are in bed by 10 p.m. (cf. 108.19).
Ep 9 – Dead Reckoning
Morning — 12/1
- Olive watches TV on the couch with Cal while they eat breakfast (108.26)
- Grace tells Olive and Cal that she is planning a surprise barbecue for Ben because he has been working so hard that he has not had any time to catch up with old friends since he’s been back. She wants the children to keep him out of the house until 4:30 p.m.
- Olive asks Ben to take her and Cal laser tagging in the afternoon (109.1).
- Olive watches Cal play a game on his tablet, when Ben informs them that something came up at work and he has to postpone laser tag. Ben tells them that he loves them (109.5).
- Olive gets a call from her dad to check on Cal. She goes to his room and observes nothing unusual telling Ben he is okay (109.9).
- Olive helps her mom with food for Grace’s surprise barbecue for Ben (109.10).
- Olive is worried after two unidentified men from JP Williamson security division show up requesting to see Ben. She overhears them tell Grace that Ben was terminated as of 8:00 p.m. yesterday evening (109.12).
- Olive tells her mom about a note that Cal left behind, “Sorry I had to leave Dad needed me” (109.14).
- Olive overhears part of the conversation in which Grace tells Ben that their relationship is not right any more and they must separate (109.20).
- Later, Ben hugs Olive, and then says goodbye to Cal (109.21).
Ep 10 – Crosswinds
It is uncertain how long this timeline will be able to map out the dates, or that it is even important to do so once the 28-day milestone (a significant number) has been reached in episode 9. But as long as we are given clues in the script, we will keep doing it. According to Michaela, it has been 10 days since the last calling (110.3), that means the events of episode 10 occur on Monday, December 10, 2018. It is disparaging that there are no Christmas decorations visible, and that there are green leaves still on the trees, no snow, etc.
Morning — 12/10
- Olive has a conversation with her brother, Cal, how she thinks their mom, Grace, is “in a dark place” ever since she kicked their dad, Ben, out of the house (110.5).
- Rather than eat her mom’s frozen waffles which Grace burned in the toaster, Olive leaves for school (110.5)
- After school, Olive finds Danny and tells him that seeing her mom these days is messing her up more than after the plane disappeared, and she asks him to come over for dinner that night to help straighten Grace out (110.12).
- When Olive returns home, she diligently prepares a meat-loaf dinner for Danny (cf. 110.21)
- When Danny arrives at the house and tells her that Olive is worried about her, Grace asks him to go. Then when Olive says she does not want him to go, and after Grace says, “this is a family matter,” Olive erupts. “What the hell, Mom? Danny is family!” (110.21).
- When Ben then shows up and has a confrontation with Danny, shoving him backwards, Olive blames herself (despite Grace insisting that everything that has happened since Flight 828 is not her fault (110.23).
- Before Ben leaves the house, Olive and Cal are given a hug from their dad (110.23).
Ep 11 – Contrails
Morning — 12/11
- The script tells us nothing about what Olive may have did this day. Presumably, she went to school. After Cal comes home, he runs to her to tell her about having Hungry Man TV dinners with Ben (111.2).
All Day — 12/12
- Olive does not appear in this episode. We presume she went to school, and that’s about all we know.
NOTE: Timeline for this day continues below (Episode 12).
Ep 12 – Vanishing Point
NOTE: Episode begins at 11 p.m. on the night before.
Evening — 12/12
- After Grace calls the police when it was discovered that Cal was missing, Olive watches as Detective Jackson questions her mom about the whereabouts of Ben (112.1).
- Olive calls Michaela and tells her that the police think that Ben may have kidnapped Cal (112.2).
- After the police have left (Jared gave them false information about how he was at his grandpa’s house), Olive wants to know why the cops were sent away. Ben tells her that he knows more than they (112.2).
Morning — 12/13
- Olive stays home with her grandpa Steve while Ben and Grace leave for Tannersville, N.Y. in Danny’s truck (112.5).
- Grandpa Steve consoles Olive back at the house who says she can feel him just like the last time and thinks he is trying to send a message to her. She then finds a note from Cal which he hid for her in a secret place where they used to hide messages for each other when they were young. The note says, “I left.” Olive sends it to her parents (112.11).
- The script says nothing about Olive.
- The script says nothing about Olive.
Ep 13 – Cleared for Approach
Morning — 12/14
- Olive and grandpa Steve give Cal a big hug when he returns. After Ben tells Grace that it might be too risky to tell Olive about the callings, Grace agrees, but also realizes from her own experience that keeping Olive from the rest of the family has its own dangers (113.6).
- Ben and the family are playing Bananagrams when Jared stops over who is worried about Michaela. While they are talking someone throws a brick through the window. Ben and Jared run out toward the street as a man leaves in a truck. After Jared goes after them, Ben goes back toward the house and sees that the man had also spray painted a big red “X” on the Stone’s front door (113.8).
- After taping plastic over the broken window, Ben asks Olive how she is holding up over what happened. Olive tells her dad she knows about the callings. They agree that starting now it is going to be a wide-open book between them; no more secrets (113.12).
- While Ben is speaking with Olive one of her school books drops and spreads wide open. When Ben picks it up, he sees a picture of a peacock and has a flashback to the day of the Red Hook explosion. Ben says that since then he has learned that peacocks are an early symbol of resurrection. Olive tells him that they are also messengers for the goddess Juno (113.7).
- Grace takes the Mythology text book off of sleeping Olive’s chest (113.22).
Ep 14 – Upgrade
Morning — 12/15
- Nohting to note.
- Nohting to note.
- Olive helps Ben try to understand the petrograph. On the phone, Ben tells Michaela this is not just about the flight anymore, that they have to figure out what Zeke’s return means for the bigger picture (114.3).
Morning — 12/16
- Nothing to note.
- Nothing to note.
- Olive has been busy doing research for her dad. She tells him the petrograph is a drawing of the constellation Gemini. She wonders if the drawing is somehow related to her and Cal being twins (114.20).
Ep 15 – Hard Landing
NOTE: Episode begins on the evening before.
Evening — 12/16
- When Ben and Grace learn about what happened at the East River from news reports and a phone call from Michaela it is well past 9:00 p.m. Olive and Cal are both asleep and do not learn about Griffin rescue until the next day (115.1).
Morning — 12/17
- When Olive wakes up, Grace tells her and Cal that Ben is at the hospital with Michaela. She then tells them what happened the night before (cf. 115.5).
- Olive puts Griffin on her board and tries to figure out if what happened is somehow connected to Cal’s drawing.
- After Ben arrives back home, he and Grace ask Olive to help them do research on the internet so they can find information about Griffin and give it to Michaela (115.7).
- Olives discovers that James Griffin had a foster brother, Devon Carrick, who died in 2004. This connects him to Zeke who lost Chloe, and to Michaela who lost Evie. They also learn of Angela Graham, Griffin’s foster mom. Grace plans to meet with her. Michaela questions Griffin about Devon (115.10).
- Olive stays home and watches Cal, as Grace goes to meet Angela, and Ben makes a visit to the hospital to check on Saanvi.